Wednesday 22 April 2009

List of vegetables for dyeing

Looking a bit more into this dyeing business, I found a list of vegetables with the possible colors one can get from them. The method itself, was the same. So here:

Light Purple: small quantity of grape juice
Violet blue: red onions skins
Blue: Canned blueberries, red cabage, purple grape juice
Green: spinach, grass
Yellow: orange or lemon peels, carrot tops, ground cumin, ground tumeric
Brown: strong coffee
Orange: yellow onion skins
Pink: beets, cranberries
Red: lots of red onions skins

And then I found another list of possible dyers but not the colors one would get... so if you try them, tell us!

Marigold flowers
Tansy flowers
Dahlia flowers
Walnuts
Apple leaves
Oak leaves
Crushed pomegranates
Onion skins
Corn husks
Walnuts

So there... if you know of anything else, we can add to the list!

Another interesting link from a website called Pioneer Thinking. There is a long list of plants and the colors you might get.
I suggest you check Jenny Dean' s website and books. She is a guru in natural dyeing and a very generous person. Wise and fun!

7 comments:

Jane_Bo said...

I dyed silk fabric and wool with onion skin, got light-light brown almost beige color. If I had more skins the color would be darker, now I collect the skins and soon I'll try again).

florcita said...

I collect the skin onions in a little paper bag as I am using the onion itself. Whenever I get a good quantity, I dye something!

Unknown said...

me encanta todo vegetal
besosssssssss

Ladka said...

I have dyed with dark red and purple dahlias. I had many flowers and got very intense orange. It is said all strong, dark dahlias give good orange (only the light coloured flowers are not worth using), and also that it isn't necessary to separate them by colour, they all give the same orange. I dyed alum mordanted wool yarn and fleece.
I have also used green walnuts and obtained deep velvety brown colour without alum. Walnut is a substantive dyeing material: it gives good colour that is light- and washfast. Some dyers use green walnut hulls whereas I used whole green nuts, in June, when they were very juicy. Rubber gloves are a must when working with green walnuts because the brown colour won't be washed from your hands.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

erotic stories with pic said...

Ginger waved her piece upward. Alice drew her legsin to make a good beaver better for him, then waited.
lesbian femdom stories
free hardcore teen sex stories
sexual spanking stories
sex stories of incest
free erotic vampire stories
Ginger waved her piece upward. Alice drew her legsin to make a good beaver better for him, then waited.

Unknown said...


Thanks to the writer of this article. I appreciate your effort in making this informational blogs. I know it's not easy to do this but you have done a really great job. I'm pretty sure your readers enjoying it a lots.

www.imarksweb.org