Sunday 19 April 2009

Felt rug making

I saw a link to this video in a forum I participate. It's from a company called Peace Industry which designs and makes felt rugs. Very pretty indeed. They have on their website a film of an iranian felt maker, demonstrating the traditional way of making felted rugs. Very intricate designs done by one man, in his small studio or working place, no modern stuff around... just his bare feets and hands, and a stamina to envy! Go roll like that for 3 hours or more!
If you have time and want to learn a bit more about felt making, do take a look: Here (click on the "15minute film" link).

There is here an essay written by Melina Raissnia "Felt Rugs from Iran" which is very interesting as well.

Sometimes, as a felter, I feel very proud and... warm inside when I realize that I am continuing an ancient tradition. And I feel quite anxious when I realize how much more I have to learn!

3 comments:

Ladka said...

Hi! The link to the video doesn't work:-(

Mariana said...

fixed!! :)

Felt Rug Lover said...

Sadly I can't get any joy making the video play either.....